Monday, January 24, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!

You will be so proud, I did better at taking pictures of the project I made. I know it is not even February yet but I'm ready to get out the decorations and start spreading some LOVE!


So I started with these fabrics I pulled out of my fabric cupboard. i was looking for pinks, reds and other types of valentines days colors.


Once I picked out my colors I started cutting, I just cut without much paying attention to the widths. I just wanted to make sure I had enough fabric.  Once I had them laid out I was able to sew them together with 1/4 inch seams on each strip.

Once I pressed my fabric I made the edges meet and hand drew my heart on the one side of the fabric. I must say it was not perfect but here is my logic, every heart is different so it is what it is!

Once I got my heart cut out I had to pick a color to put it on, I choose a different color of pink that I had laying around. I pinned this down about half an inch from the edge. When I started thinking about this pattern I wanted the edges to be rag type. Don't get me wrong it could have been blanket stitched easily.


I quilted around this heart twice, both in the heart shape. As you can see I left the edges raw so that they would make the rag type I was looking for. I did cut down the background fabric, I will have to measure everything and get a pattern in case someone else would like to make one.

I choose to add the wording LOVE to the center of my quilt, I did this after I had finished the quilt but actually did it as an hand embroidery stitching. Which I must say was very tricky not to get the backing fabric while doing this.  I'm thinking about looking for some Valentines buttons to add to it but we will see.

This is the finished product, I used extra fabric left over to make my binding for the quilt. Please pay no attention to the small string under the e. Pay more attention to the raw edges that I love on this quilt! 

Please stay tuned as I will upload a PDF file on how you can make one of these of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment