Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hand Stitching



So do you like to hand stitch? This is something that I keep to for my downtime. Lately I have been doing my hand embroidery by cheating. I buy these great Hot Iron Transfers packets. This one came from Hobby Lobby for $1.49 and actually has four different patterns in it.                              At Hobby Lobby and a few small quilt stores I have seen tons of designs of different stuff. Somewhere I was even able to pick up pigs, this was a big score for me as that is the best thing to collect.







This is what the pattern looks like once you take it out of the package. As you notice everything is backwards on the paper. Of course it is this way so that when you transfer it onto the fabric of your choice it is right.

Now don't get me wrong I know how to use the pattern with either 1) light colored fabric or 2) the lovely light pencil transfer. I have a great barn pattern that I need to do that with.









 So once you cut out what pattern you would like to stitch is looks much like this one right here.

In the directions it suggest that you "test" on your fabric to make sure everything will work out ok. Well I just go with the wing it method. I have never has trouble with it doing funny things to my fabric.



So you have your fabric cut and your ready to whip out the iron. Well guess what don't forget to pin your paper especially if it is a large item because IT WILL MOVE. I don't care how hard you try not to make it move but it happens. So as you can see in the bottom left hand corner you can see one of my pins.

I use the lift and move method and leave it one for about 45 to 60 seconds to make sure it gets transferred over to the fabric. I would hate to have to try and line it all back up again.





So once you have it ironed and remove your paper it will look something much like this. If you notice all of my flag didn't transfer over but I made do with it. I mean who really can't sew a straight line?



I picked a beautiful pink/maroon thread for this one. I usually pick out of my stash that I have laying around here. In the past I have done some to use up all the threat I have left over and they even look lovely.





 So once you are ready to stitch you place it in a hoop, you can use a plastic one or the old fashion wood ones like in this picture.

The most important thing to remember, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PROJECT IN THE HOOP WHEN NOT STITCHING.  Ok I'm guessing you got that!
I know what you are thinking, that isn't the pattern she has been showing us. Is this lady nuts? Well no I actually did this pattern to start, of course didn't take pictures so I had to start another to get some pictures. Now here is the catch, later this week I will have another post on how to do the stitching and you will be able to see the finish of these lovely Denim Dan's and the other one I have been showing you.
I will also be adding a few items that you can check out at Amazon that work well with Hot Iron Transfers. You can check them out on the right side of the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment